Cart 0 items: $0.00
Home > Our Wines

2019 Chardonnay

The signature Chardonnay of Vasse Felix, made from a selection of Vasse Felix’s premier plots of powerful Chardonnay. Made in the modern Margaret River style of elegance, power and restraint, with the wild complexity which distinguishes Vasse Felix Chardonnay.


EOI for 2020 Vintage
Available 1 November 2021

Tasting Notes
COLOUR Bright pale straw with a gold tinge. NOSE A fragrant fruit perfume of white peach, yuzu and pear flan, gives way to creamy yeast lees and fragrant oak complexities which deliver almond meal, ginger nut biscuits and nougat nuances. Background notes of flint and ocean breeze reveal themselves with time. PALATE An incredible body characteristic of our Premier plots of fruit, complemented by a fresh line of acidity. This freshness is followed by an immediate broadening of the palate, harmonious and chalky, the wine is mouth coating but not heavy. Complex and complete, the fragrance lingers on the finish.
Winemaker Notes
Another cool season yet beautiful ripeness was achieved with elegant fruit perfumes and perfect sugar levels. With high natural acidity, many of the parcels (approx. 70-75%) were allowed to complete natural malolactic fermentation. 65% of the parcels were hand-harvested, gently whole-bunch pressed and transferred to French Oak Barriques as unclarified juice for wild fermentation. The remaining 35% was Selectiv harvested (to embrace some skin maceration), direct pressed and racked to barrel as high solids juice for wild fermentation. Each parcel was left on lees in barrel for 9 months of maturation with battonage. These premier Chardonnay selections were a mix of 86% Gingin clone and 14% Bernard clones 95,96 and 76. The majority of the fruit was grown at our Boodjidup and Home vineyards, with a small portion from our Karridale vineyard.
Production Notes
100% Chardonnay
Alcohol %
Cellaring Potential:
6 years (fresh), 6+ years for complex, aged Chardonnay
Harvest Date
Feb - March 2019
French Oak Barrique, 39% new, 61% 1-3 year old, 9 months
Residual Sugar:
Residual Sugar
Bottling Date
May 2020
Vintage Notes

A cool, high-humidity start to vintage meant we benefited greatly from precise canopy management to mitigate disease pressure and optimise sun exposure for the fruit. The success of this program enabled us to harvest ripe, clean fruit with slightly lower alcohol and great natural acidity. Mild conditions allowed for extended ripening, creating beautiful aromatics and fine ripe tannins in our reds. Marri Blossom was non-existent throughout the region in 2019, resulting in the largest netting program ever seen at Vasse Felix to protect the fruit from bird damage. Overall, a labour-intensive vintage that resulted in beautiful quality fruit.

2019 Chardonnay
Add To Cart
/ Bottle
Out Of Stock
  • 96 Points

    The West Australian - Ray Jordan

    Another belter under this label. First thing, and I have said it often, it is way too cheap for a wine of this class. It’s a wonderful expression of this cool vintage, displaying more restraint and delicacy than the marvellous 2018. Wild yeast and some malolactic fermentation have contributed to the beautifully textured mouth feel. Minerally, it has a fine citrus edge that cuts through a palate of intensity and depth which explodes through to a very long finish.

  • 95 points, Editors' Choice

    Wine Enthusiast

    This classic wine is rich and concentrated yet bright and elegant. Citrus, melon rind, oyster shell, toasted brioche and nutty notes flow into a beautifully constructed palate. There’s crackling acidity straight out of the gate and subtle,toasty oak to ground it. Slippery and slinky, with salinity and depth of flavor, this is a finessed, balanced wine.

  • Best White 2021

    Cellar Press - Vintage Cellars

    Best of premium white. Vasse Felix enjoys the spoils of a unique enviroment and climate in Western Australia's Margaret River Region and Vasse Felix Chardonnay Premier is the vineyard's signature chardonnay drop, showing elegance, power and restraint.

  • Best Buy Over $35 - 94 points

    Gourmet Traveller Wine - Jeremy Oliver

    Vasse Felix continues to deliver more fruit weight in its chardonnay. Penetrative aromas of grapefruit, yellow peach and lemon reveal notes of coriander, charcuterie meats and a wiff of marl. its creamy core of generous, translucently clear citrus and stone fruit flavours moves with shape and balance towards a focused and vivacious finsih of lingering mineral and briny nuances.

Related Products
Add To Cart
/ Bottle
Add To Cart
/ Case of 12
Add To Cart
/ Bottle
Add To Cart
/ Case of 6
Add To Cart
Add To Cart
/ Case of 12