×
×
Cart 0 items: $0.00
Home > Our Wines

2020 Chardonnay

The quintessential Margaret River Chardonnay, made from a selection of Vasse Felix’s premier plots of powerful Chardonnay. Made in the modern Margaret River style of elegance, power and restraint, with the wild complexity which distinguishes Vasse Felix Chardonnay.

DOWNLOAD TASTING NOTES

A selection of magnums are also available, click the link below for more.

2020 Chardonnay Magnum

Tasting Notes
COLOUR Pale straw with a light golden tinge. NOSE A subtle fragrance of fresh pineapple curd, crayon wax, cereal, bee pollen and chamomile. Secondary notes of hot wet stone and mushroom contribute a lovely exotic, savoury nuance. PALATE Immediately juicy upfront, the fleshy, just-ripe fruit carries lovely fresh acidity and mouth-watering succulence. Hints of chamomile and salty, coastal herbs mingle with a waft of fresh lemon to linger on the fine-boned porcelain like palate texture.
Winemaker Notes
WINEMAKER'S COMMENTS A warmer season with early harvest resulted in beautiful ripeness with elegant fruit perfumes and perfect sugar levels. With high natural acidity present in the majority of fruit parcels, malolactic fermentation was allowed to complete. 67% of the sections were hand-harvested, gently whole-bunch pressed and transferred to French oak barriques as unclarified juice for wild fermentation. The remaining 33% was Selectiv harvested (to embrace some skin maceration), direct pressed and racked to barrel with high solids juice for wild fermentation. Each parcel was left on lees in barrel for 10 months of maturation and an additional 7 months in tank after blending, with regular battonage. The premier Chardonnay sections were a mix of 78% Gingin clone and 22% Bernard clones 95, 96 and 76. The majority of the fruit was grown at our Wilyabrup and Boodjidup vineyards with a small portion from our Karridale vineyard.
Varietals:
Production Notes
100% Chardonnay
Alcohol:
Alcohol %
13.0
Cellaring Potential:
Aging
5 years fresh, 5+ years for complex, aged Chardonnay
Harvested:
Harvest Date
January - February 2020
Oak:
Fermentation
French Oak Barrique, 34% new, 66% 1-3 year old, 10 months
TA:
Acid
6.7g/L
pH:
pH
3.16
Residual Sugar:
Residual Sugar
1.18g/L
Bottled:
Bottling Date
June 2021
Vintage Notes
2020

2020 was a warm vintage with low yields resulting in good quality. Spring development was early followed by a warm start to summer and continuing into fine sunny, dry conditions throughout the summer months. This, combined with lower yields, brought an early start to harvest. Happily, we experienced minimal bird pressure due to the timely arrival of Marri Blossom and there was no disease pressure. Following the completion of white harvest, a rainfall event in late February provided a timely drink for the reds. Bird pressure increased resulting in the netting of our red varietals. The faster ripening period combined with lower yields led to incredible concentration in our red varietals, with substantial tannins and rich fruit flavour. 

2020 Chardonnay
Add To Cart
$44.00
/ Bottle
SKU: 20PCH7AU06
Add To Cart
$264.00
/ Case of 6
 
Reviews
  • "Sophisticated"

    WBM - Tyson Stelzer

    ..this is a mighty sophisticated Chardonnay that would hold its own confidently against premier cru Burgundian royalty. v19

  • "Gorgeous stuff"

    2022 Halliday Wine Companion - Erin Larkin

    Each year this wine presents an amalgam of creamy, chewy phenolics, ripe yet nervy fruit and exotic spice.. Gorgeous stuff. v19

Related Products
Add To Cart
$100.00
/ Bottle
SKU: 20HCH7AU06
Add To Cart
$29.00
/ Bottle
SKU: 20FCH7AU12
Add To Cart
$348.00
/ Case of 12
 
Add To Cart
$52.00
/ Bottle
SKU: 18PCS7AU12
Add To Cart
$624.00
/ Case of 12